Matt Chandler is teaching and practicing some things that are concerning to many in the Reformed camp who trace their theological roots into the early Reformation.. Below are seven things you’ll see in the first video.
- Says that after a random guy blew on his head the effectiveness of his ministry increased.
- He affirms and promotes a testimony from a woman who claims she saw a bright white light in her room and perceived it as an appearance of Jesus
- Describes an experience where he asked God for direct revelation and was given an impression of a guy at a Whataburger.
- God gave him a mental impression of a sunflower.
- Says sign gifts aren’t a thus saith the Lord, but are impressions from God that we speak to people for their consideration.
- Teaches that Christians should seek and pursue God’s direct revelations through impressions given to the heart.
- Says we should give ourselves over and pursue this stuff.
Full sermon here in context.
Many people trace their theological roots back into the early parts of the Reformation. This was a time that didn’t accept personal claims to hearing from God, because all of the revelation needed was in scripture. Continuists like Matt Chandler are possibly opening a backdoor that could partially undo that.
People who have adopted theological stances that aren’t traced way back to the roots of the Reformation may not see a big issue with Chandler, after all, some argue that the definition of Reformed is fluid.
Those of us who do trace back to the initial roots, and hold those things dear, we need to be aware of Chandler’s influence, and guard those things we hold dearly even closer.